Now if you're a regular reader of Simply Sewing, you'll know that a couple of issues ago, the pattern that came with it was a Cotton + Chalk one called "The Sunday Set". It looks a little something like this...
I liked the look of the pinafore dress, so I figured what the hell, I'd give it a shot. I'd gotten the fabric for it when I went to Goldhawk a few weeks ago, so I just wanted to crack on. What I failed to take notice of at the time was that little key in the bottom left that tells you how difficult the pattern is, and in this case, it's pretty darn difficult.
I started this dress about 2 weeks ago, and was getting on pretty well with it. Everything was running smoothly until I got to the instructions for the pockets. I still don't really get how the instructions for the pockets worked, as from what I could work out, they basically told you to sew the pockets shut, but implied they would still magically work afterwards. I could see this was going to be a confusion, so I abandoned the pockets and cracked on with the next few stages after that, including making the pinafore section which looked like this.
Anyway, after a whole evening and then a whole afternoon on it, I finally finished the thing (including figuring out the damn pockets). I took this picture before I hemmed the bottom and pressed the whole thing, but I was just so pleased! I'm also mildly (aka completely and utterly) obsessed with the fact I have a dress with pockets, because lets be honest, dresses with pockets are the best thing EVER.
It's not the best picture in the world, but hopefully I'll get a better one in the next few days and be able to share that as well.
I was really pleased to be able to use some buttons from my button supply as well. These beauties were from my other half's Nana's sewing box, which I will be raiding for more buttons in the future hopefully!